Re: unusual startup messages

Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:41:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, ADAM Sulmicki wrote:

Look at this:

[...]
> ->Partition check:
> -> hda:Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
> -> hda1 hda2 hda3
[...]

and this:

[...]
> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
> Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
> FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
[...]
> pretty much same.

Well they are very similar, just one stands out much more than the other,
in the first the kswapd message droped in the middle of the partition
check, in the second it's in the middle of the floppy messages (I assume
the "hda:", and the " hda1 hda2 ..." are from differant printk's).

> ->one more question, is steganography and DES/IDEA crypt going to be
> ->incorporated into the kernel in 2.1.x, or are there problems with having
> ->cryptography in the kernel?
>
> I don't think Linus is in favour this this.

I think it's more of it's written in the US, and getting it in the kernel
requires exporting it, which is illegal (tho reimplamenting it is legal,
as is exporting a description of what needs doing, and I suspect that a
patch is more than a description).

> As IMHO this can be entirely
> done in user space, and we don't need an big, bloated kernel.

It's a lot easier to do as part of the loopback block device tho ....

> But even we
> do it, what would be use of it? There is already suppport for encrypted
> volumes, the secure rcp/telnet/ etc are alredy done by ssh stuff, and we
> are not going to crypt memory ;)

Where are encrypted volumes ? Where can you take a '00 Mb sample, and
hide data in it ?

> -Adam

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.