Re: unusual startup messages

Nathan Bryant (nathan@burgessinc.com)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:52:35 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, ADAM Sulmicki wrote:

> ->I have been getting this unusual problem since late 1.3.x .. it started
> ->when i decided to put my floppy driver into a module .. it does not cause
> ->any problems, but it is a slight annoyance.
> ->
> ->ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ->ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> ->Partition check:
> -> hda:Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
> -> hda1 hda2 hda3
> ->VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>
> What's wrong wiht this? You have 3 hdd's so two eide controllers are in
> use and thus two irq's for them..floppy is not initialized as it is module

He doesn't have 3 hard drives. He's got 1 hard drive with 3 partitions.
hda1, hda2, hda3.

I can't see anything wrong with this message either, though.

> ->one more question, is steganography and DES/IDEA crypt going to be
> ->incorporated into the kernel in 2.1.x, or are there problems with having
> ->cryptography in the kernel?
>
> I don't think Linus is in favour this this. As IMHO this can be entirely
> done in user space, and we don't need an big, bloated kernel. But even we
> do it, what would be use of it? There is already suppport for encrypted
> volumes, the secure rcp/telnet/ etc are alredy done by ssh stuff, and we
> are not going to crypt memory ;)
>
> -Adam

Huh? I should hope Linus would be in favor of this, as crypto support is
going to have to go in the kernel when Linux supports IPsec. It seems to
me that kernel space is the best place to put the support for ESP
transforms.

John Gilmore (of EFF and Cygnus fame) has some people writing IPsec for
linux. I exchanged a few emails with him on this subject a few months ago
and I got the impression that it was being implemented in the kernel. I'd
be interested to know some more details on his implementation though.

For more information on John's project check out his page at
http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/swan.html. I've also collected some info on
various IPsec implementations; it's available at
http://burgess.biddeford.com/pub/ipsec/.

Regards,

| Nathan Bryant | Resident Unix Geek |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | Burgess Business Solutions, Inc. |