TTY speedup patch/Menuconfig speed??

William E. Roadcap (roadcapw@cfw.com)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:38:31 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, David Dyck wrote:

> I tried "make menuconf", but doesn't seem to be optimized
> for screen redraws on serial lines.
>
> I went back to make config.

Linus, did any version of the tty speedup code that was floating around a
month or two ago get into the kernel? I applied one of those patches, the
first one out I think, and it made a significant improvement. But will
any of those patches also improve speed over a serial link?

David, how fast is your serial link? Is it a color terminal? Color
sequences can be very slow on some serial terminals. If you are using
a color terminal, try a mono version of your TERM (terminfo) type.

One of my pet gripes with ncurses is that it insists on clearing the
screen each time it is initialized, which is everytime Menuconfig runs
lxdialog to draw a new menu (yuk!). The result is SLOW. I don't know how
to get around this without recoding Menuconfig entirely in C, which I
don't want to do.

__
William E. Roadcap mailto:roadcapw@cfw.com
TITUS Software ftp://titus.cfw.com/pub