Re: BIOS clock problem

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:49:13 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Alessandro Suardi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> since 2.1.3 my BIOS clock stops when I power off the system.
> (ie. rebooting shows clock being set to last power off time
> instead of correct time).
> Is it just a faulted battery or a new kernel feature ? (or my
> brother trying some new Win95 or DOS game doing funny things
> to the BIOS... ?) TIA,
>
> --alessandro

I have a different problem. My clock always (or used to always,
I don't look anymore) go to the year 1933/2033. Some software
thought it was 1933, some 2033. I suspect one or the other date
was generated using two fixed digits (ie at 19 or 20) and the
other is the "correct" interpretation.

But no matter, now I maintain the time by saving it in a file
every two minutes and restoring it on reboot (using ntp to
correct, but I'm worried mostly about monotonicity). Not hard;
but if anyone wants the scripts..

I still don't know if this was Linux, my IBM 483DX-33 hardware,
or the clock battery, but "it's fixed in software now, so who
cares if the hardware works." ... It may have booted the correct
time the last 30 boots; I haven't checked the BIOS time recently.

But, it no longer gives checksum errors every boot, so it may
have "healed". If you ignore a problem long enough ...

--kmb203@psu.edu---------------Debian/GNU--1.1---Linux--2.1.3---
Develop free apps? http://www.jagunet.com/~braddock/fslu/org
"The C Programming Language -- a language that combines all the
elegance and power of assembly language with all the readability
and maintainability of assembly language." (version 2.0 of this
signature, thanks Pete :)