Re: Core dumps & restarting

psychos@xeo.net
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 19:35:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Eduardo Diaz Comellas wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was wandering how to stop a process, reboot the machine, and
> restart that process. Is there a way to provoke a program to dump
> itself, and restart it after the reboot?
>
> Maybe we can define a new executable format for it to work ;-)
>
> Cheers!

This would be practically impossible as you'd have to load the program
into the exact same memory space or all of its pointers would be bad...
Memory fragmentation issues would make it very hard to get any program to
occupy the exact same space it did before.

The only way to really reload anything would be to dump the entire system
memory to a file and reload that. This could be useful if you wanted to do
something like boot into another operating system, or halt your computer
for whatever reason.
(Of course, real Linux users never reboot or shut down, except for a
hardware or kernel upgrade ;)