Re: realtime idea

Philippe Strauss (philou@sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch)
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 19:25:52 +0100 (MET)

Egor Egorov wrote:

> I just read some VMS documentation, and I had one pretty idea. Why not to
> get some real-time code into linux kernel ? 1st, the do-not-swap option for
> process start. For example:
>
> [user@place ~]> noswap /usr/local/bin/superprog
>
> And this process never will be swapped.
>
> 2nd, enter some code in sched.c to give processor to one process every time
> it needs it (oh, my english). For example:
>
> [user@place ~]> startprior /usr/local/bin/superprog
>
> I mean, this process will receive processor time every time it needs it.:)
> This can be pretty thing to have, because sometimes we need to run smth,
> which has to be run softly, wtihout any swap or slowdown.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> PS: "[user@place ~]> noswap startprior /usr/games/sdoom" ;-))

Realy neat idea, but you are not the first to think about it :)
If you do a ftp on my linux box (sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch),
you'll find a file called posix4.gz. It's a (overlong) post
from Markus Kuhn about posix 1b extensions planned for linux.

--
Philippe Strauss, CH-1092 Belmont

Email: <philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch> Homepage: http://sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch