Re: syslog spiral death

Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:43:50 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 ron@caldera.com wrote:
> > [... syslog slows down lots with masive (>8Gb) logs ...]
>
> [...]
>
> I've seen a similar problem also. Running strace showed that syslogd
> was doing fsync() quite often. As the log files grow, fsync() takes
> longer and longer to complete. I don't know whether to consider this
> an inefficiency in the fsync() implementation or poor behavior on the
> part of syslogd for calling fsync() so often...

Hmm, would you call it a bad implamentation if it didn't fsync() often
(ie that copy of the panic made it to syslog, even into the logs, but it
wasn't written to disk ....) ?

> We avoid this problem
> by keeping our log files trimmed (via chklogs).
>
> Ron

You (Tony) could try putting the sync bit on the directory, or just the
file ie:
# chattr +S /var/log

> --
> Ron Holt <ron@caldera.com> Caldera, Inc.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.