Re: Am486/100 writeback processor reboot woes

Ted Garrett (teddygee@visi.net)
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:38:43 -0400

Richard Adams wrote:

> [...]
<snippit>

> I have a 486SX/33 AMD for 3 years now its never rebooted like it should, not
> even with 1.0.9, i never found one kernel which it rebooted properly, the
> 1.2.x series i patched every patch, and tryed most kernels, not one rebooted
> properly, same symtom as Toni described.
>
> I now have also a 486/100 AMD Toni, it reboots fine. But it would be nice to
> find out why, the old 486SX/33 runs standalone now, so i cant reboot via
> remote.

The problem is the motherboard's BIOS. Some motherboards support
soft-reboot and some
don't. I had this problem running an AMD486/100 with an early AWARD
bios. Got a new motherboard running a later revision of AWARD bios, and
it went away. Later changed to yet another motherboard running AMI
bios, and the problem didn't come back. Now I test
every motherboard I get, and if it doesn't reboot correctly, I send it
back.

---
"Obviously, the US Constitution isn't perfect, but
it's a lot better than what we have now." - Unknown
PGP key id - 0xDEACDFD1 - Full key available from
pgp-public-keys@pgp.mit.edu