Re: oops while shutting down.

Dan Merillat (Dan@merillat.org)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 05:08:17 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 Oct 1996, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> Date: 16 Oct 1996 09:01:54 +0200
> From: Thomas Koenig <ig25@fg70.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> To: submit-linux-dev-kernel@ratatosk.yggdrasil.com
> Newsgroups: linux.dev.kernel
> Subject: Re: oops while shutting down.
>
> In linux.dev.kernel, Dan Merillat <Dan@merillat.org> wrote:
>
> >This isn't a stock 2.0.22 kernel, so if anyone spots anything wierd
> >let me know.... I've applied Alan's synflood patches and was running
> >some third party modules (Perex's ultrasound driver)
>
> This does sound like the problem I had, with 2.0.21 (or a bit earlier,
> I reported it on linux-kernel at the time). I could not take down
> anything since my machine rebooted.

It's happened a number of times here... same thing... the final umount
call fails (now without the ultrasound driver) I copied it down because
I did a shutdown -h, so the machine didn't reboot. Anyone seen what
could have been causing it? (anyone miss the OOPS first time around
let me know, I'll email it directally.)

It's getting anoying because
A) It fails to unmount the (2 gig) partition so I have to fsck...
B) It dosn't allways happen.
C) It takes approx 2-3 minutes for a full reboot cycle to keep trying it.

Gonna try single user and lots of mount -a/umount -a to see if I can
reproduce it.

--Dan