Re: Money

Integration (abrams@philos.umass.edu)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:21:46 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded message:
Subject: Re: Money
To: stmiller@crosslink.net (Scott T. Miller)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:20:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Integration" <abrams@wilde>

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > I _really_ don't want money. You wouldn't believe how frustrating it is with
> > personal cheques from the US - in the best case it costs on the order of
> > $10-20 USD just to get them cached (*), and that's after arguing about it
>
> You should at least set up a deposit-only internet banking account tied
> to a Finnish bank. From it you can distribute the SHAREware
> contributions amongst Linux's many deserving developers. Linus taking

Or, perhaps easier (unless I'm mistaken): the money sent can be sent by
some relatively secure means (not sure, perhaps fedEx), and be made out
either as a money order drawn in Finnish currency, or AmEx traveller's
cheques, which though embarassing, can be exchanged anywhere abroad in
the appropriate "Change -- Wechsel -- Cambio" booths!

The money order scenario is still a pain, but it puts the pain on the
payer, not the payee (as is, I think, appropriate!). I know that it
*can* be done in the U.S. if you look for the right bank. The AmEx
scenario is perhaps yet somewhat less secure, though easier.

elsa

--

Many swaying trees | For, as Avicenna says in Book I of the share the breeze | Metaphysics, 'Those who deny the first principle though they don't know | should be flogged or burned until they admit | that it is not the same thing to be burned and seeker of truth | not burned, or whipped and not whipped.' And follow no paths | so also, those who deny that any being is all paths lead where | contingent should be subjected to torture until truth is here | they concede that it is possible for them not to -- e. e. cummings | be tortured. -- John Duns Scotus, Book I, Dist. XXXIX