Re: NE2000 PCI clones patches: Vote!

Philip Blundell (pjb27@cam.ac.uk)
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 09:49:39 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Jacques Gelinas wrote:

> With the kind of reaction we have had on this one, I suspect that there
> will never be any new hardware support in 2.0 and users will have to wait
> for 2.2 to get it. It goes against the idea that 2.0 should have "some
> life" even when 2.1 is available.

By all means put new hardware support into 2.0. But don't do it _now_.
We still don't seem to have managed to find a 2.0.x kernel that works for
everybody yet. Once there really is a stable one and 2.1 development has
started, you can start to add new drivers to 2.0. THe way to do this is
to develop them for 2.1, test them alongside that, and then retrofit them
into 2.0 once you're happy they work.

P.