Re: Problem with 2.0.20

Adam D. Bradley (bradley@cs.unca.edu)
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 01:50:29 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Larry Mintz <mintz@mnsinc.com>
> Subject: Problem with 2.0.20
>
> When I tried to build 2.0.20, I got the following:
>
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linuxelf-2.0.0/include -D__ASSEMBLY__
> - -traditional -c semaphore.S -o semaphore.o
> /tmp/cca00177.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cca00177.s:91: Fatal error: Symbol down_failed already defined.

I had this problem, too...it seems patch has some problems with creating
new files. The file "/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/semaphore.S" was
created as /usr/src/semaphore.S, and contains both the i386 and Alpha
files (which should've been created separately). Cut out the Alpha
section and it'll compile fine.

BTW, are we both missing something here? Is there a command-line opt (or
another version) of patch that creates new files in the right places?

Adam

--
He feeds on ashes; a deluded mind has led him    Adam Bradley, UNCA Senior
astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say,             Computer Science