memory testing [was: Re: General protection fault in kswapd in 2.0.18]

Ingo Molnar (mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at)
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 09:38:39 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Does anybody on the kernel list know of a good test program that is generally
> available that can be left running over-night or similar? (Actually, if you
> are in a hot and humid area it's probably best left running over day, during
> the hottest hours). I'd think that if this is a memory problem it would show
> up under any reasonably good test if it can result in even four-bit errors..

well, this is a hardware solution:

Pick up a hairdrier and point it at your memory modules, while the system
is running. If some of the modules are flaky, then errors will show up
quite fast.

-- mingo