Re: sbpcd driver

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 16:39:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Tom Hammersley wrote:

> I noticed some strange behaviour the other day. If I turn my speakers up,
> and copy a file from my cd-drive to the hard drive, I can basically hear
> the file being copied, thru my speakers: the data from the cd-rom is
> being played back as audio through my sb16. Not a deadly bug, I must
> admit, but its a little 'unprofessional', and could do with fixing.

It is extremely unlikely that you are getting actual digital playback of
the sound. More likely it's electrical noise somewhere in the system,
perhaps the CD-ROM drive itself. There isn't much that can be done about
that, save better designed and shielded equipment. If that is the problem,
you might get some useful results by rearranging the devices or cables in
your computer. Turning down unused mixer channels on the sb16 couldn't
hurt either.