Re: NE2000 Module Problem (Try this patch)

philou@urbanet.ch
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:48:48 +0200 (MET DST)

> Jacques Gelinas wrote:
>
> Philippe Strauss wrote:
> >
> > Now eth0 is the ISA NIC, after come the autoprobe, and then a third attempt
> > failing... Still room for improvement, but it works.
> > This rise a question: how could we cleanly define argument to insmod
> > when two or more peripheral use the same module?
>
> the io= parameter is indeed an array so you can write
>
> modprobe ne io=0,0x320
> which will load the PCI first, then the ISA and then fail. The ne2000 is
> peculiar as we don't want to auto-probe ISA ones, yet now we autoprobe PCI
> ones. Given this state of affair, I see only one possibility: Tell the ne
> module how much device to expect. I am including a new patch (relative to
> 2.0.18, not my previous patch) which solve this.
>
> A new parameter is available (nbunit), so you can tell the ne module how
> much device to probe. The default value of this parameter is 1. The thing
> is a little bit smarter though. If you don't now about nbunit, you can
> still do
>
> modprobe ne io=0x320,0x280
>
> and two adaptor will be used.
>
> So nbunit is the amount of adaptor we are trying to locate unless an IO is
> supplied. People with 4 pci adaptor could go with
>
> modprobe ne nbunit=4

Patch2 work as you expected. I now use ne io=0x320,0xff80 in /etc/modules
so the ISA NIC is on the internet side (eth0) (cable modem) and the PCI (eth1)
on my very small LAN (faster). It's been a while that i was too lazy to do
vi /etc/init.d/network ;*)

root@philou:/home/philou# modprobe ne io=0x320,0xff80
ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x320: 00 00 b4 32 a2 02
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x320, using IRQ 10.
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0xff80: 00 00 1c 30 05 68
eth1: NE2000 found at 0xff80, using IRQ 11.

root@philou:/home/philou# modprobe ne nbunit=1
ne.c: PCI BIOS reports ne2000 clone at i/o 0xff80, irq 11.
ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0xff80: 00 00 1c 30 05 68
eth0: NE2000 found at 0xff80, using IRQ 11.

root@philou:/home/philou# modprobe ne nbunit=2
^
faulty, just to try it out
ne.c: PCI BIOS reports ne2000 clone at i/o 0xff80, irq 11.
ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0xff80: 00 00 1c 30 05 68
eth0: NE2000 found at 0xff80, using IRQ 11.
ne.c: Module autoprobing not allowed. Append "io=0xNNN" value(s).
ne.c: No NE*000 card found (i/o = 0x0).

--
Philippe Strauss, CH-1092 Belmont
Email:	philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch