Re: AWE32 Programming Info (Official) Released!!!!

goemon@anime.net
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:08:51 -0700 (PDT)

Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:
> Derrik Pates (dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu) wrote:
> : Creative Labs has FINALLY (yes, and officially even) release the low-level
> : proggy info for their EMU8000 synth chip!
>
> : The password for the encrypted one (this is included in the docs) is
> : FULLAGREE.
> And - are you still free to publish your source code if you have fully
> agreed this way?

Doesn't matter. Some people have already reverse engineered the chip and
published the documentation (and sample code) on the web:

http://xfactor.wpi.edu/private/witek/awe/src/guide.txt

So you don't have to worry about Creative Labs NDA at all.

Someone has used this information to make a Linux modplayer for the AWE32:

http://xfactor.wpi.edu/private/witek/awe/

I think at the very least, /dev/dsp and /dev/audio support for the AWE32
should be possible very quickly. ;-)

-Dan