Re: Token Ring Patch

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 18:22:17 -0400

Paul P. Norton wrote:

> This patch fixes:
>
> 1. Most (maybe all) token-ring lockups due to the Arrg problem.
>
> 2. "Unknown command in asb 08" errors.
>
> 3. Incorrect open error code handling.
>
> Thanks to Michael Madore, Christopher A. Smith, James Walter Martin III,
> Joe Hindsley and Harald Becker for their assistance in debugging this
> problem.
>
> Please email me at pnorton@cts.com with any problems, questions or
> comments regarding this patch.
>
> Paul

Paul,

VERY timely.. I just spent about two days battling with token ring on my boxes. For
some odd reason, the existing driver worked fine on a 486DX2-66 machine, but failed
sporadically with the "ARrggh .. 50ms timeout.." error on a DX4/100. I was becoming
convinced that it was a race condition triggered by the faster CPU and spent today
trying to chase down a programming manual for the NIC's. I'm using 3Com 3C619Bs,
FWIW.

I'd greatly enjoy hearing from anyone else actively banging on TR support under
Linux. Repeated searches of comp.os.linux.networking turn up nothing!

- Steve