Re: Jiffies Wraparound (was Re: interrupt counts)

Mike Kilburn (mike@conexio.co.za)
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:13:00 +0200 (SAT)

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> (Oh, and it's not gcc handling the wrap correctly: it's the C language. The
> C language defines that unsigned arithmetic _has_ to work the way we want it
> to work, so you don't even need to look at the asm output).

Ever since I got burned by Turbo C 1.0 and some inc + cmp problem (I
dont recall what it was now) I dont feel right unless I look at my
asm output, at least for small projects ;). Doing most of my work in
embedded systems does not help either as I find it easier to debug
asm output than C source a lot of the time. I guess its hard to teach
an old dog. I'll take a logic analyzer and asm listings over gdb any
day. If only I could afford a logic analyzer for my 486 ;).