Re: swap_free: swap-space map bad (entry 00040000)

Mon, 19 Aug 1996 22:19:08 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Mark H. Wood wrote:
[...]
> My first thought was, of course, that the new memory was bad. However,
> the kids run Windows on this same box without any trouble (other than the
> usual Windows crocks :-), and the memory has passed:
>
> o the POST test (which seems to be pretty thorough since it takes so
> long);

Don't know about this, but it could be thorough, or not ...

> o whatever tests HIMEM.SYS does; and

not many ...

> o several passes with DiagSoft's QAPLUS.

hmm, don't know about this one either.

You could try using the memory checker that is floating about in the Linux
archives, it's based on the kernel code (well the loader is ;), you just
throw it at a floppy like a zImage, and reboot. It will just keep going
until you hit reset.
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.