Re: psaux broken

Mark T. Gray (citylake@postoffice.ptd.net)
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 05:57:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Petri T J Mattila wrote:

> Hi,
>
> linux-2.0.8 seems to break psaux somehow.
>
> A couple of minutes after boot, system just hangs.
> Even virtual consoles does not work anymore.
> There is only one message in the syslog:
> 'psaux: controller timeout'
>
> If I let psaux module unloaded, everything works well.
>
> BTW, what possibilities do I have to debug kernel
> in this kind of situation ?
>

> -- Petri

I have had a similar problem with 2.0.8 when I start X while dip is calling
my ISP -- the loading of X stops and I get bumped out to the login prompt,
however the keyboard is totally dead and I have to shutdown from my dumb
terminal. (The kernel continues working, and I usually let it download my
mail before rebooting).

I couldn't figure out which of the 6 'psaux: controller timeout' printk's
was involved so I numbered them -- the problem went away! (at least for this
morning and yesterday's many "recreation" attempts). It seems like there is
some timing critical thing happening between the serial ports and psaux. My
psaux is built into the kernel so it is not a module problem alone.