Re: Not a bible thumper. . .

Martin Radford (martin@zamenhof.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 01:06:48 +0200 (BST)

Linus Torvalds wrote:

>a) Messages seen by users should be "nice", so the "Fucking sun blows me"
>message should go, but I'll wait for patches from the _maintainers_ of
>that piece of code first, because:

My main problem with the message is that it is just gratuitous. It
tells me nothing at all about what the problem is, and how serious it
is. Kernel messages should be informative; preferably understandable
(at least to someone who has some technical knowledge of what's going
on in the code); and relatively polite. In this case, "no", "no", and
"no". I'm a native English speaker, and "fucking Sun blows me"
doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll certainly agree that the maintainer of the code should make any
change, rather than anyone else. I have no problem with this being a
comment in the source code, I'd rather that it wasn't presented to
users. Would anyone want their child to learn the word "fuck" because
their operating system used it? I think not!

So Adrian, how about submitting a patch? Can we get this into 2.0.9?

Martin

--
Martin Radford                       |      M.P.Radford@exeter.ac.uk