Re: AMD K5 with Linux

Ralph Lewis (rlewis@mail.wsu.edu)
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 18:25:07 -0700 (PDT)

On 18 Jul 1996, Danny ter Haar wrote:

> In article <9607171724.AA06525@quix.robins.af.mil>,
> <msmith@quix.robins.af.mil> wrote:
> >Ok, we kicked the M1 around about a month ago, now how about
> >AMD's K5. Based on AMD's docs it can execute twice as
> >many instructions per clock as the P5 and is P5 plug-in
> >compatible. Anyone tried it with Linux and is it SMP plug-in
> >capable as well?
>
> We installed with a AMD K5 today.
> Several weird errors occured after about 15 minutes of operation:
> divide errors on several processes. (even ls)
> But after a fresh reboot it would be fine for about 10-15 minutes.
> Just like a register running over.
>
> We "fixed" it though:
>
> We compiled a kernel wit copro support and started a kernel
> with the no387 option, thus forcing the copro emulation and the
> errors didn't return (yet).
>
> The motherboard we installed ahd the latest triton chipset
> and a dimm memory connector.
>
> Here are the bootup messages, look at the bogomips ;-)
>
> It seems there is a bug in the AMD or in the kernel somewhere ;-)

Just thought I would put in my 2 bits. I have a IBM 486 SLC2/66
with a math coprocessor. Linux would give me floating point errors and
exceptions when compiling, using man (nroff), and xv among other things.
I had to turn off my math coproc with the no387 option as well, now all
runs fine.

| "I believe OS/2 is the operating system of the '90s" B.Gates,Comdex'89 |
Ralph Lewis \ / f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.
rlewis@wsu.edu -O- http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~rlewis