Re: SB16 Sound driver problem

Philippe Strauss (philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch)
Sat, 20 Jul 1996 00:59:36 +0200

Rob Riggs wrote:

> On 16-Jul-96 Hannu Savolainen wrote:
> >Don't try to use kerneld if you have SB16 version 4.5. For some reason
> >this particular firmware version causes troubles when _warm_ loading the
> >sound driver while there are no problems with any other SB version.
> >
> >This problem may be related with interrupt test feature added in Linux
> >2.0.1. It's possible to bypass the test by adding
> >
> >#define NO_SB_IRQ_TEST
> >
> >to the beginning of linux/drivers/sound/sb_commob.c. However nobody has
> >reported that this change helps. Somebody claimed that leaving MIDI
> >support out from configuration could help too.
>
> This did the trick. Sound works now - even with kerneld. My
> SB16 is version 4.5.
>

> >Best regards,
> >
> >Hannu
>
> The sound driver seems to be leaving the sound card in a
> bad state when MIDI support is compiled in. Even after a
> warm boot, the kernel will freeze when initializing the
> sound board (by kernel or module) if the sound driver was
> loaded previously. I had loaded the sound module, created
> a new kernel with sound compiled in, then rebooted and had
> the kernel hang during the boot sequence, right as the
> sound driver was initializing.
>
> I don't *need* MIDI support, since I have no MIDI hardware,
> but I had previously always compiled in MIDI support. This
> had never caused a problem.
>
> Rob
> (rriggs@tesser.com)

Exactly the same problem with exactly the same firmware (4.5). I don't
need Midi either, so it doesn't bug me too much.
But, by simply using the SB enough in a home-made apps which draw
real-time spectrum under X, my linux box end by freezing hard. This apps
use DMA memory mapping in input of the sound buffer for fast and fluid
animation. I've suspected a bug in X, but there's no such problem on
another computer with opti930 sound card, different graphic card, same
kernel (2.0.7), same X server (S3 X312E). Any idea?

Philippe.

--
Philippe Strauss, CH-1092 Belmont
Private Email:	philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch

" Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT's relativity. " Albert Einstein.