Re: Alternate solutions (Was: Re: NFS still has caching problem)

Thu, 18 Jul 1996 00:19:40 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Craig Brozefsky wrote:

> > I don't see any reason why the Linux community shouldnt write it.
>
> Do we want to write a whole new filesystem from scratch or just take care
> of some issues in NFS, for me those would be security and reliability. I
> think that the more "noble" of the two solutions is to build a new one
> designed right from the and implemented with security in mind,as well as
> the replication support, and other features you listed, but do we have
> time and resources to accomplish the "noble" solution?

There comes a time when you have to just throw away what came before, and
start over (well in programming anyway ;), using all the knowledge that
you have ammased on the subject to make what comes next so much better
than what came before (hindsight is 20/20 remember ;).

Starting from scratch will allow the use of new features without having to
worry how it will effect the old clients, they won't enter the equation to
cast shadows on the new ideas that should be used.

Oh, and before you argue that the linux kernel has never had such a clean
out, it has, just never the whole thing at the same time, it's just too
big and all encompasing the throw the whole thing away to start again ....

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.