Re: 2.0.7 - freeze at runlevel prompt

Mark Hamstra (mark.hamstra@sullivan.bentley.com)
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:03:30 -0700

Eric S. Mountain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2.0.7 froze at the "Enter runlevel:" prompt - and I really mean
> _froze_. I suspect the sound module which I load and unload in the
> background so the sound card is initialised with some decent values.
> Sorry it's 6:30am and I have to go to work, so no chance of testing
> things further.
>
> It did happen with 2.0.5 or 2.0.6 too though - just once, next time I
> booted thinger were OK (with the same kernel), so it's intermittent.
> Worst kind of problem...

I had a 2.0.7 freeze yesterday. I didn't have time to mess about with
telnetting in to the frozen machine (P166), but I had no response from X
(which I was in at the time) or VCs. Hardware reset was my recourse.

I doubt that the sound module is to blame: I've got no sound card in
this machine and no sound support configured into the kernel.

Mark