Re: 2.0.3 ghost reboot

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Sun, 7 Jul 1996 19:57:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Yesterday I installed 2.0.3 on my system. Before I went to bed I stopped
> > my PPP connection and left X running as usual. When I woke up this
> > morning Linux had mysteriously rebooted. No record of what happened in
> > any log. All of my mount points came up dirty and had to be rechecked.
> > This has *never* happened before.
> >
> > Looks like a bug somewhere to me. 2.0.0 did not experience this problem.
>
> Could also be a power spike. Did anything or anyone else see a power spike (the
> uptime will let you work out when it might have been).

I have seen silent reboot with a bad cache module. Although it was with
SMP linux. This was the infamous TYAN bug btw. They admit having problem
with the 512k cache module.

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Admin/linuxconf-...