Re: 2.2.0 wishlist, new version

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 19:12:38 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <4qopdh$li6@fg70.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>,
ig25@fg70.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de (Thomas Koenig) writes:

> * NFS write clustering/coalescing/biod
On Linus' todo-list, second item (first is getting rid of the fs regist=
er
for accessing user data from kernel space).

> * Caching a slow block device on a fast one
> * Paging binaries run off CD-ROM and NFS to local swap
These two do almost the same things, except that the first is more gene=
ric,
IMHO.

In the works; see the PNP pages on www.redhat.com.

> * Guaranteed stream throughput (for example, reserve 300 kB/sec =
for
Dito, Alan is doing that. (Whence he geht all the time to do all the th=
ings
he does is completely beyond me.)

> * Uniform game controller support.
Generalize to: Uniform pointing device support.

> * Environment variables as part of symbolic links
Hmmm. I'd like to see a generic "mount one file system on top of anothe=
r"
interface which would be usable for this, or for caching, or for mounti=
ng
several file systems on top of each other, or ...

> * Faster dep (qdep, for example)
* Slower dep (sdep?) which actually allows us to compile from read-only
sources.

> * Better kmalloc debugging
We already had that. Twice. Every time, somebody invented a new faster =
way
to do the kmalloc thing, and forgot to redo the kmalloc debug stuff.

> * Serial console support
With all serial drivers if at all possible, please...

--=20
The best way to cope with change is to help bring it about.
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ noris network GmbH / Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc=
'ing
PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 D=
Click <A HREF=3D"http://info.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42