Re: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)

Lauri Tischler (ltischler@efore.fi)
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 20:50:31 GMT +2

Anno Domini 29 Jun 96 at 11:27, lilo wrote:

> On 28 Jun 1996, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > Being credited, however briefly, in the bootup phase of millions of
> > computers is also a motivating factor for Linux developers. I think
> > it isn't more than fair that they get their credit.
>
> It is also the case that the kernel source contains all of the credits, and
> that having a clean simple boot for those who are more comfortable with it
> will tend to produce a favorable impression of Linux in new users,
> particularly those who haven't used a unix-style system before.

Any bootmessages not directly related to wellbeing of the system are
useless pap. That includes so called copy(left/right) messages, which
are just plain ego puffing, and any kind of graphic smokescreens.

Pure 'technobabble' is a Good Thing (tm) :).

If somebody wants to see the list of 'inventors' it's there in the
form of Credits file. That can be printed to the screen via rc.*
scripts :)

--
Lauri Tischler, Network Admin          Tel: +358-0-47846331
EFORE Oy                               Fax: +358-0-47846500