Re: [Take II] On SIGCHLD signal semantics

Marc Aurele La France (Marc.La-France@ualberta.ca)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 15:00:38 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Tom Dyas wrote:

> > If you had been following this discussion, you would know that this is one
> > of the aspects of it that are under contention. I am using
> > ftp.lmh.ox.ac.uk as a repository for changes that still need discussion.
> > The change I have uploaded is not yet finalized for inclusion into 2.1.

> I do follow the discussions except for when I go into a delete
> binge. However, your email was too big which meant it must have had
> something of value in it which it did. :)

> This has probably already been said but:

No, it hasn't. Thanks.

> Advantages sysctl:
> No kernel recompiles to change behavior. Gives lots of control to
> the superuser.

> Disadvantages sysctl:
> The "signal inherit" state must be kept no matter what behavior the
> system is using at the time. Code is more complex, etc.

I am striving for a final form of this change that would be option-less.
Any options that would be required to exist would also defeat my objective
with respect to portability. But if options are required, then, yes, your
suggestion applies.

Marc.

| Marc Aurele La France | work: 1-403-492-9310 |
| Computing and Network Services | fax: 1-403-492-1729 |
| 352 General Services Building | email: tsi@ualberta.ca |
| Edmonton, Alberta | |
| T6G 2H1 | Standard disclaimers apply |
| CANADA | |