Re: possible SCSI device numbering solution

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:01:21 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996 23:30:54 +0200 (MET DST), Gerd Knorr
<kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de> said:

> On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
>> > One thing tho, would we even need more than 65536 major devices?

>> I'm reminded of somebody saying, "they'll never need more than 640k". :-/

> This really is'nt a problem. If you look back, the capacity of hard
> disks increased, not the number of hard disks in a system. It's much more
> likely that we run in trouble becauce 32 bits are to small to count the
> all the sectors of a disk...

Well, that gives us 2TB of disk space. We're not going to run into
this limit _just_ yet... (famous last words)

Cheers,
Stephen.

--
Stephen Tweedie <sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.