Re: real kernel bloat

William E. Roadcap (roadcapw@cfw.com)
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 20:59:00 -0400 (EDT)

I'm CCing this to linux-kernel because I feel it's necessary to defend
myself against your public chastising. Further bickering shall go to
private mail, agreed?

Excuse me Mr Gollent, but I think you read more into MY message than was
intended. I was making a simple observation about the size of my ISP's
kernel without drawing anymore conclusion than "It's a big kernel". It was a
figure I felt might be of interest to those who were participating in this
thread with respect to Digital kernel sizes. I was making no comparison to
Linux kernel sizes, nor do I suffer from blind (stupid? I beg your pardon)
fanaticism. I take Linux for what it is as well as what it isn't and I can
see both sides of the coin very clearly.

The reasons why Digital's kernel is big is moot when relating it to Linux, I
agree. But, the simple fact is that it IS big and that is ALL I was saying.
In addition, neither you nor I know for certain that that kernel was built
with or without the -x flag. Making such unproven assumptions, in the end,
might tend to cause one to appear clueless, we wouldn't want that to happen
to such a clued in person as yourself, now would we?

So, get your nose out of the air and get a grip.

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Roman Gollent wrote:

> William E. Roadcap wrote:
> >
> > Just to satisfy my curiosity about the comments here on Digital Unix's
> > size, I telnet'd into my ISP running Digital Unix.
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root system 9388376 Apr 26 12:10 vmunix.old
> >
> > Now that's big!
>
> And not relevant. Some of us have enough of a clue to compile the
> kernel with the "-x" ldflag.
>
> Off the top of my head, things that Digital Unix has which Linux
> (and any distribution derived from it) does not:
>
> AdvFS -- There's no way in hell I'm fscking a 24 gig /news/spool if
> the system crashes.
> Run on 2000 model Alphas and higher (Which also ties in with SMP)
> Full Blown ATM
> Clustering
> Full Compliancy branding (Which linux will get when Caldera pulls through)
> C2 Security
> Complete BSD and SysV functionality (I can choose what I want)
> CDE and very nice suite of admin tools
> Better C compiler than gcc.
>
> Some of these things will be solved/improved in the near future, yet
> there are many things that I depend on now. I like Linux and use it
> wherever possible, however, I don't believe in blind, stupid
> fanaticism. That's something I usually attribute to the BSD crowd and
> I hope people running Linux will prove to be a little more intelligent
> and mature. Writing off an OS simply because it isn't Linux is
> counterproductive (The reverse is true as well, but I doubt anyone
> reading this mailing list looks at it that way). There are many
> things that can be learned from Digital Unix and there are many things
> that the Unix Group at Digital can learn from Linux (They probably
> have already). How about we get back on topic and worry about Linux
> bloat compared to Linux instead of contenting ourselves to pointing at
> others to prove our superiority?
>
> Roman

__
William E. Roadcap mailto:roadcapw@cfw.com