Re: possible SCSI device numbering solution

Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:59:54 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Harald Koenig wrote:

> > No not nice well they won't both happen, so ...
> >
> > ... does that look so bad ?
>
> of course only one of these dev_t partitionings will show up,
> but I think all those huge numbers are completely unreadable (in decimal).

Well it's unlikly that you'll see anything over 512 in production ....

> but there are programs out there which read and parse the output
> of "ls -l" or maybe "find /dev -ls" so just changing from decimal to
> hex might break some programs...

Well changing the padding is the only way to avoid braking scripts that
parse ls -l /dev, then again the are more than a few programs that won't
like the size of dev_t changing.

> Harald
> --
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.