Re: Drawbacks of implementing undelete entirely in user space

Tue, 25 Jun 1996 14:46:38 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:

> Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> wrote:
> >How about moving the deleted file into a directory .wastebasket/XXXXX,
> >where XXXXX is the inode number of the directory the file was in at
> >the moment it was deleted. If that directory has the same permissions
>
> That implies that deleting files could potentially increase the space
> requirement on the disk (not good). Creating a directory is an "expensive"
> operation (uses non-negligible space and cpu/wallclock time).
>
> I don't think those are desirable properties of an unlink() operator.

Hmm, well it dosn't happen if .wastebasket dosn't exist, (I would have a
partition wide one anyway), and a hardlink before unlinking the link that
we've (unlink()'s) been asked to remove shouldn't be much overhead, and
no additional disk space ....

> --
> Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.