Re: , Drawbacks of implementing undelete entirely in user space

Sun, 23 Jun 1996 11:50:27 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996, Rich Tollerton wrote:

> Not even that - a crontab entry containing a shell/perl script that would
> remove files from .wastebasket after a 'days since modified'/number of
> files in .wastebasket/size of .wastebasket would be simple to program and
> very small (I'd think under 5k). Then rename rm to something else that
> script (and people who really really want to delete their files) can
> call, and make a new rm that moves the file to the .wastebasket and
> writes its path in a data file. Total modification size, including both rms
> and man pages would be under 50k.
>
> Lost anybody there? :)

No, but what happens when the free space on the disk reaches 0 because of
the saved files. If you don't put some of it in the kernel, you can't
use the ext2 u bit to determin which files should be saved on unlinking,
and you can't recycle the space for new files.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.