Re: SCSI device numbering

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 16:34:09 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <199606212030.QAA13982@snowdon.ccs.neu.edu=
Albert Cahalan <albert@ccs.neu.edu> writes:
>=20
> I don't think the kernel should address individual partitions.
> On the PC alone there are many ways to partition a disk.
> Such as: primary, extended, BSD, SCO, several disk managers,
> Windows NT mirrored disks, and a variety of corrupted partition
> tables left by fdisk for so many different types of OS.
>=20
> Some tool can be used to give the kernel offset/size data.
>=20
??? OK, so I give the kernel three offset/size pairs for the partitions=
on
my disk.

Now tell me how to address the individual partitions without minor numb=
ers
to distinguish the three. IMO there _must_ be different devices, if onl=
for security.

> I am most worried about the idea of sparse numbers.
>=20
IMHO the idea to create a bunch of symlinks in /dev/scsi/* is _great_.
I, for one, definitely don't need more than that.

--=20
Why did the chicken cross the road half way?
He wanted to lay it on the line.
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ noris network GmbH / Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc=
'ing
PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 D=
Click <A HREF=3D"http://info.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42