Re: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)

Rogier Wolff (r.e.wolff@et.tudelft.nl)
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:56:17 +0200

G Sumner Hayes wrote:

> Why add it to lilo? Why not have a graphics viewer throw up the
> screen while your init scripts run? Just put it first in your rc
> scripts. Certainly not as nice as the lilo hack, but a lot easier to
> implement quickly. You'd still see the kernel messages, but the init
> messages would be hidden from the end user.

Implemented the day before yesterday on my system :-)

My monosync monitor doesn't show anything until X starts.
(First thing in /etc/rc.d/rc.S: even before fsck) First thing
that happens next is that I tile the pinguin on the root window
behind the "xconsole" that shows the rest of the boot messages.....

Roger.

--
 ** Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?       **
 ** A: Apart from the fact that virusses install easier, none.            **