Re: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)

Shinanyaku (shin@binary9.net)
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 18:25:46 -0400 (EDT)

Matt Hawkins was heard saying ....

> > > How about the penguin at an ACME switch with a BIG fan blowing all
> > > the coluds away? Could say "The Switch Is On!" ;)
> > I was thinking more along the lines of an image= parameter in
> > lilo.conf so the image could be set to anything.
>
> Hate to sound stupid, but just how is lilo going to go about displaying
> graphical images? Are we going to put graphics support into lilo? Do
> you think that's going to fit into the MBR or superblock? And what about
> those ppl who don't use lilo?

Well heck then, have the kernel itself pop into 320x200x256 if a VGA
is attached and dump a bitmap. Right before the kernel launches INIT,
pop it back into whatever text mode was defined.

Hey! Two birds with one stone: a logo and getting rid of boot images :)

Shin!