Re: Java and the FSSTND

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:28:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> From: Kevin M Bealer <kmb203@psu.edu>
(clip)
> > Maybe _I'm_ out of context, but what does this get you?
> >
> > Most of the scripts on my system usr /bin/sh ... I can link that to any
> > binary on my system.
> >
> > For what application is this useful?
>
> Although /bin/sh is standard, many interpreters are not.
> What about wish, perl, and some_new_thing? It could be in /bin,
> /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/share/bin, /opt/bin, /usr/gnu/bin,
> /our_system/bin/linux, ~/bin, ~/bin/linux, or whatever.

But if you want to put wish in /usr/nobody_will_look_here/bin, you can.

Just put a link /bin/wish to the correct location. If you want to, put a
link in /usr/bin/wish, /usr/local/bin/wish and ~/bin/wish as well, in case
the script has a different hardcoded location.

Is there any disadvantage to this approach?

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
Two men looked out through prison bars; One saw mud, the other stars.