Re: binfmt_aout: always loaded?

William E. Roadcap (roadcapw@cfw.com)
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:25:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, B. James Phillippe wrote:

> I'm using a.out support compiled as a module and am using kerneld
> to autoload it (kernel 1.99.14 and modules 1.3.69k).......
> Now, however, it seems to be always loaded, .......
> Is there any way I can see which application caused the initial
> load?

try running: file /sbin/ldconfig /usr/bin/ldd

Assuming those programs are located in those directories on your machine
this will tell you if they are ELF or AOUT.

The RedHat 2.1 distribution I'm using insisted on making those programs
a.out. On many systems ldconfig is run by the startup scripts hence the
aout module gets loaded at startup.

As to why the aout module doesn't unload, I have no idea. Perhaps you need
to upgrade your modules package. I'm still using modules-1.3.69f and I have
seen this problem as well. However, the last time I checked, the
auto-unloading of modules was done within the kernel, not by the kerneld
daemon. That may have changed, I'm not sure. It could also be related to
the aout libraries being 'cached' by the Linux memory management, but that's
above my head.

Anyhow, rebuilding and installing ld.so-1.7.14 stopped the mysterious

PS. You should upgrade to ld.so-1.7.14 anyway if you want to run
Netscape 3.0. Older version of ld.so will allow Netscape to lock
your machine.

Just some ideas, hope they help....
__
William E. Roadcap mailto:roadcapw@cfw.com