Games (was Re: SVGA kernel chipset drivers)

Sheldon E. Newhouse (sen@math.msu.edu)
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:04:03 -0400

You make a very good point below. (your reference to fast machines for
good games).

Games tend to push certain parts of the hardware to its limits. This
can result in new developments which are very important for scientific
applications: e.g., real time simulations, good memory management, etc.

I recall a lecture by Bill Joy in the early 80's in which he said, more
or less, that, as a new graduate student, he noticed that the computer
(perhaps processor) use in the video arcades seemed to be better in many
ways than what he saw in the faculty offices at Berkeley. He began to
think about better use of terminals, graphical interfaces, etc. We know
many of the things that came out of that.

-sen