Re: the mmap() problem, a'la "grep x /dev/zero"

Ingo Molnar (mingo@kaliban.csoma.elte.hu)
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:57:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I suspect it's just the fact that Linux doesn't check for memory availability
> when doing memory mappings. It _does_ check when increasing the bss, so it
> was just a matter of doing that check in both places (the check should
> probably be improved too).
>
> I'm including totally untested patches - I haven't even rebooted (or
> compiled) this kernel yet, but the more testers, the merrier. The worst
> that can happen is that nothing works, it eats your harddisk, and the
> machine goes up in smoke.,.
>
> (most of this patch is actually just moving "sys_brk()" to where it
> belongs)
>
> Please do tell if this makes a difference for you..

Thanx! it fixes all problems! It does:

mmap(0, 83894272, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|0x20, 3, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Out of memory)

and it's rock stable.
Dont know what smoke you were referr%$#Connection closed by foreign host.