Re: .94 Floppies and Ethernet

Nils Rennebarth (nils@nus.pan-net.de)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:52:17 +0200 (MET DST)

On 25 Apr 1996, Mark Eichin wrote:

> >> vorlon kernel: eth0: Bus master arbitration failure, status 88f2.
>=20
> Interesting -- I am getting this *exact* error (a few hundred times a
> day) on a 1.3.79 kernel.
I got this message on all kernel versions I can think of (including 1.2=
.13),=20
using an NCR 53810 SCSI controller and a AMD 2100 ethernet card. It=20
appears to be harmless but I got spurious lockups of the whole machine =
so=20
I replaced the network card and avoided them in the future.

I'm still curious about the reason behind it.

> It was suggested (on one of the debian
> lists) that the problem was the video card I'm using.
We got this problem regardless of video cards. We always use some cheap=
=20
PCI cards.

We use ASUS motherboards PVI 486 SP3, PC/I 486 SP3G and TP XE 54 (don't=
=20
remember the exact type.

--
Coming again: Best quotes of the net. Today:          | Nils Rennebarth
Kristian K=F6hntopp <kris@schulung.netuse.de            | Schillerstr. =
>>I'd also be interested in the comparison [of Linux] | 37083 G=F6tting=
en
>>with a cisco router. I assume a factor of about ten.| ++49-551-71626
>What? faster or slower?                              | http://www.nus.
Cheaper!                                              | pan-net.de/~nil=