Re: Unices are created equal, but ...

Brian Tao (taob@io.org)
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 21:17:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11)
> System -- Unix A gerard 1.3.87 #31 Sat Apr 13 18:34:46 GMT 1996 i586
[...]
> BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11)
> System -- Unix B gerard 2.0.5-RELEASE XXXXXXXXXXXX: Fri Oct 20 00:30:52 1995 gerard:/usr/src/sys/compile/GERARD i386

Why are you trying to make an anonymous comparison? It is obvious
you are running Linux 1.3.87 as "Unix A" and FreeBSD 2.0.5 as "Unix B".

> Even if this benchmark is a little questionnable, I invite people who
> say or write that Unix B is FASTER than Unix A to stop, or to say or
> write the OPPOSITE.

A *little* questionable? I'd say the benchmark is completely
useless. Comparing code that was released today with code that was
released a year ago proves nothing. Try running at least a stable
snapshot of FreeBSD, or better yet a -current release.

--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internex Online Inc.