Re: Is anyone using EXT FS

tpeters (tpeters@pris.bc.ca)
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 18:59:49 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, hab wrote:

> Splitting the Kernel bad Idea.
>
> Deleting Obsolete, confusing, options such as ext fs
> is good idea. When? At next stable release after it is
> determined to be truly obsolete. I remember the intial
> discussions about deleting ext fs when ext2 first appeared.
> I was an advocate for both at that time. All positive
> benefits for ext have long expired. Lets delete ext fs and
> any other obsolete kernel/driver items by the next stable
> release.

As long as still operational hardware support remains. No silly graphics
assumptions in kernel would be nice; _KEEP_ AHA-1540A support (@%^@
Microsoft), and other old hardware support PLEASE!

Take the old (obsolete) software drivers (ext, a.out <joke - no flames
please>, xiafs, and whatever anyone else agrees on). Just out of
curiousity - I've been using ext2 since 0.99.13, and as of that kernel
xiafs and ext were described as 'obsolete'.... (if memory serves)

(in case anyone missed the joke: a.out hasta stay at least 'cause naughty
developers aren't supporting elf 'cause it's too new and not standard (hi
Netscape))

Ciao!
- Teunis