Re: memory corruption under heavy load?

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 07:23:49 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

> Trying to stress-test some new hardware, I did "make -j" on the kernel
> sources. It runs for a while, starts swapping a lot, load average goes
> up to 30 or so, then cc1 gets fatal signal 11. There is still plenty
> of free swap space at this point (20MB total, about 10MB free).

Similar problems here. I also had problems running `make boot' -j -l 5 (I
think that's the operand I used). I've been told by various people that -j
2 works for them, but not -j 3. Anyway, I suspect 2 problems--one related
to a race condition in the way the make is organized, and one relating to
stress.

It'd be nice if the various targets of the kernel make could be organized so
that `make j' wouldn't break it. This would make it an excellent
stress-test, which I suspect would help resolve other memory-stress
problems. (I know, I know, but I wouldn't know where to begin.... ;)

:) lilo