Re: New sysvinit-2.60 ??!!??

Grant Reaber (greaber@reed.edu)
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 20:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Kevin Buettner wrote:

> > Anyone installed and made this release work???
>
> I've built it, but am still contemplating whether to install it or not.
>
> > I built it, installed it and then tried a shutdown -r -t0 now and the
> > command just came back to the prompt.... NO shutdown... What did I do
> > wrong. It is on a slackware release machine.... with latest kernel,
> > etc.
>
> Just a guess.. When you tried this you were still running the old init,
> right? You probably need to shut it down with the old shutdown command
> and then when your system comes back up with the new init, you can use
> the new shutdown. But this is only a guess. I haven't tried it yet.

No. The new shutdown reboots by going into runmode six. My Slackware
used to be configured to go into "X only" mode when runlevel six was
entered. Apparently yours is a bit different. What I did was delete the
inappropriate references to runlevel six in inittab and then add a line
from the Debian inittab provided:

l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/reboot

Of course I copied the Debian reboot script into /etc/rc.d. Seems to
work.