Re: Cannot boot linux

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 20:10:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Taylor C. Carpenter wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Christian =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6nsson?= FOA 72 wrote:
>
> > I compiled the 1.3.85 kernel today and I can no longer boot any linux kernel.
> >
> > In the config I did, by mistake, include some CD-ROM stuff I shouldn't have.
> > I do not have any CD-ROM device at all, to bad.
> >
> > When booting (several) linux 1.3.x kernel i get:

(clip)

> > I have a symbolic link /usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-1.3.85. Maybe, if I
> > could delete this link and make a new one /usr/src/linux ->
> > /usr/src/linux-1.3.80 and try booting again it would jump off. But how can I
> > do such a thing when I can't boot *any* linux kernel?
>
> making a new link to the src dir will not help boot problems...
> what you need to do is boot off a floppy... then you can go through the
> make config again and don't use any cdrom support. you should probably
> replace the kernel image (probably called /vmlinuz or /zImage or /zmlinux)
> with an older one that works (if you have an older one).
>
> if you do not have a boot floppy made after you compiled a new kernel(you
> should make one at least when you upgrade to the 1.3.[78]*) boot off the
> floppy you made to install. mount the root partition (unless /usr has its
> own parttion, inwhich case you should mount it too), as in /dev/hda1,
> then if you have an old image some where replace the new one with it.
> then reboot and once back in, go do make config and don't include cdrom
> support. :)
>
> hopes this helps
>
> -taylor cc

LILO keeps a list of disk sectors to load I believe... copying it over may
not help. What worked for me in a similar situation was to mount the root
partition as above, and insert a spare floppy. Then mount your regular /
partition under a directory (say /mnt) and copy the kernel to the disk with:

cat /mnt/boot/kernel-x.y.z > /dev/fd0

(assuming a stable kernel is at /boot/kernel-x.y.z)

I used 'cat' because 'cp' wasn't on the boot floppy.
You don't need to mount the floppy, but be sure to remove the boot floppy.

This should produce a disk you can boot from.

__kmb203@psu.edu_____________________________Debian/GNU__Linux__1.3.77___
THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #12: LITHP
This otherwise unremarkable language is distinguished by the absence of
an "S" in its character set; users must substitute "TH". LITHP is said
to be useful in protheththing lithtth.