securelevel

Raul Miller (rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu)
13 Apr 1996 21:31:51 GMT

Ulrich Windl writes:
> Currently root can't change the securelevel; I'm afraid nobody can.
> What about a way to "secure the securelevel"; that way root could
> secure it, and then nobody could change it.

Mind if I ask why this is needed?

This is a real question: why can't the machine just be brought up at
the right securelevel and be done with it? If it comes multiuser up
at the wrong secure level isn't that a security problem in and of
itself?

Or is there something that needs to be done during boot up that can't
be done at the intended securelevel? [This would seem to indicate a
flawed security model or flawed hardware.]

--
Raul