Re: Can't locate module net-pf-3 (or 5)

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:59:52 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <m0u5sEU-0005FYC@lightning.swansea.linux.o=
rg.uk>,
alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
> > No, its a 'bug' in ifconfig, it is requesting all kinds of Adress f=
amilies
> > (which is not the right thing to do .). This will be fixed in the n=
ext
> > net-tools Release.
>=20
> Please don't fix it. ifconfig is meant to use all the families. It ha=
s to, so
> that it can issue queries for each device type. Other tools do the sa=
me and=20
> will continue to do so. People should configure their kerneld config =
properly.
>=20
"ifconfig eth0" should query all protocol families. "ifconfig eth0 IPNR=
"
should not.

I have no idea what ifconfig currently does. Presumably it already does=
the
right thing.

--=20
SERVER n. A kind of DAEMON which performs a service for the requester,
which often runs on a computer other than the one on which the
server runs.
-- From the AI Hackers' Dictionary
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ XLink-POP N=FCrnberg | EMail: urlichs@smurf.=
noris.de
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Unix+Linux+Mac | Phone: ...please use =
email.
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Networking+Programming+etc'i=
ng 42
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>.