Re: NCSA httpd server and 1.3.8X kernels

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:56:24 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960408111500.7049I-100000@l=
inux.cs.Helsinki.FI>,
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi> writes:
>=20
> Apache seems to do the pre-forking the _right_ way, ie not having jus=
t=20
> one listener that then gives out the requests to the others, but havi=
ng all=20
> the servers listen to the port, and then the one that gets there firs=
t=20
> gets to serve it too. No fd passing, no overhead, no stupidity.
>=20
Seems that certain other OSes got royally confused when a program decid=
ed
to fork before listen()ing. Usually, i.e. without forking, you can't do
that (the bind() call will fail).

> In short, it seems everybody should use apache.
>=20
_That_ goes without saying. ;-)

--=20
An English judge, growing weary of the barrister's long-winded
summation, leaned over the bench and remarked, "I've heard your
arguments, Sir Geoffrey, and I'm none the wiser!" Sir Geoffrey
responded, "That may be, Milord, but at least you're better informed!"
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ XLink-POP N=FCrnberg | EMail: urlichs@smurf.=
noris.de
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Unix+Linux+Mac | Phone: ...please use =
email.
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Networking+Programming+etc'i=
ng 42
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>.